Thursday, March 19, 2009

2009: Year Of the Tire Iron


If the kick-ass trailer for the remake of 1983's House on Sorority Row is a fair indication of the movie's quality, then 2009 will be the year the tire iron will become the weapon that slasher fans can't stop talking about. It's the new machete!

Seriously, though, I'm shocked at how promising this looks. I understand that to some it might look like a formula slasher picture, not worth getting excited over. But if you're the type of person who gets excited about slasher films in the first place, then this trailer is more than likely going to give you a new reason to live. I didn't expect that the remake of House on Sorority Row would look capable of blowing the remakes of My Bloody Valentine and Friday the 13th out of the water but I think we've got a real contender on our hands. The only thing that could tank my enthusiasm is if it wasn't R. PG-13 is fine for some projects but slasher films should always be R, otherwise they're a waste of time. And in the eyes of this old-school slasher fanatic, this looks like anything but a waste of time.

SORORITY ROW trailer in HD


9 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Ok... That DOES look freaking good!

This looks to be more old-school slasher fun. Not looking forward to "H2", but am looking forward to this!

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeff Allard said...

Yeah, I thought that this would inevitably look like an also-ran effort compared to the remakes of My Bloody Valentine and Friday the 13th but it looks like they went all-out. Sure, it may have a heavy I Know What You Did Last Summer vibe but I'm fine with that - original plots aren't what anyone goes to a slasher movie to see. Like I said in the blog, as long as they go for an R-rating, I'm stoked.

FilmFather said...

Okay, I'll give it props...that is one damn good trailer. Let's hope the movie delivers. If it does, and Drag Me To Hell meets or exceeds expectations, could we actually be experiencing a resurgence in good horror films???

Jeff Allard said...

I sure hope so! Maybe I'm just getting less critical as I get older but overall I've been pretty pleased with the year's releases to date - so far I've liked The Uninvited, Underworld 3, MBV 3-D, Friday the 13th, Last House on the Left and Knowing - and if better stuff is yet to come, this'll be a banner year.

Matt-suzaka said...

Did I see a "modified" tire iron in that trailer?! Either way it looks pretty promising, and the Samurai Girl herself, Jaime Chung is soo delectable! http://editorial.sidereel.com/Images/Promos/samurai_girl11.jpg

Timmy Crabcakes said...

I dunno... I think maybe your all on dope... that doesn't look all that promising to me at all.
Then again, I haven't really enjoyed any of the latest slasher films... so maybe I'm just burned out on that sub-genre.

Jeff Allard said...

Matt, there is indeed a modified - or 'pimped out' - tire iron here! There's a good shot of it at 1:59 and you can see the killer twirling it later in the trailer as well.

And Knob, I agree that SR may not look like such hot potatoes to everyone. Obviously I think it looks like a blast - maybe it's because I'm especially partial to slasher films like Prom Night, Happy Birthday to Me or Terror Train that feature whodunnit storylines. I always love it when there's a mystery as to who the killer is - even if the eventual reveal of their identity is lame. Come October, we'll see how Sorority Row fares.

Amanda By Night said...

I'm also not a fan of the trailer. One part that confuses me, and perhaps I should watch it again is that the guy "kills" the girl after he thinks she's dead. Am I correct on this? Doesn't he stab here with shears or something after everyone is all "She's dead!"? Hmmmm...

I'm basing that on memory. I watched the trailer about a week ago.

Anyway, I haven't been thrilled with the latest slasher output myself, so this is one I'll wait for word of mouth on first before I pick up a ticket. I did that for Friday the 13th, and was surprised that I didn't find it half as bad as I thought I would... I know! What's that about?!?

Jeff Allard said...

Amanda, I think that the kid either is trying to do his part to dismember the body or else he detects some life in the girl and thinks that he has to move quick to kill her to cover up the 'crime' that's been committed, not knowing that she's just been playing dead all along. Hopefully the movie will make it all clear!