Friday, March 25, 2011

You'll Enjoy Mr. Barlow...

For the first time since our holiday roundtable for The Curse of the Cat People (1944), the Horror Dads have reconvened - and this time we've rented the Marsten House to discuss Tobe Hooper's 1979 TV movie adaptation of Stephen King's second novel, Salem's Lot. A nostalgic touchstone for Gen-X horror fans who watched the two-night miniseries during its original airing on CBS in October of '79, Salem's Lot is often offered up as proof that Hooper's legacy in the horror field isn't just limited to the early triumph of Chainsaw. But how well does it hold up now, after over thirty (!) years?

Click here to join Dennis Cozzalio, Greg Ferrara, Paul Gaita, Nicholas McCarthy, head Horror Dad Richard Harland Smith and yours truly for a return to that quiet Maine town of Salem's Lot...

4 comments:

Arbogast said...

Ayuh.

Jeff Allard said...

Spoken like a true Mainer, Arbo! Or would that be "spoken like a true Mainiac?"

Rotting Pumpkins said...

"Salems Lot" is one of my all time favorites! I was shown this by my uncle at the ripe age of 6. Mr. Barlow's "fun in the kitchen" scene gave me sleepless nights. The local video store had the condensed 2 hour version and when I heard about the original 4 hour mini-series cut, I couldn't wait to see what I had missed.

Jeff Allard said...

Yeah, the theatrical cut really leaves a lot out. I think the longer version lags a bit but you can't cut anything without shortchanging the story.