Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Trick or Trailers: The Exorcist (1973)


I'm not a big fan of "Best Of" lists. Either they'll annoy you by including titles that just don't belong or they'll put all the right ones on but in doing so, simply tell you what you already know. Well, let me bore you now (or annoy you!) by reminding you that The Exorcist is the greatest horror film ever made.

It just is. Nothing else comes close.

Speaking of not coming close, I think this trailer for The Exorcist leaves pretty much every horror trailer in the dust. It is genuinely freaky. And I firmly believe that if I had been exposed to this trailer when I was a kid, it would have broken my mind. How could it not?



Like the movie itself, that trailer is an example of how The Exorcist was a case of a major studio going all in on destroying an audience.

I don't know if The Exorcist will be a part of my Halloween viewing today as I actually think that trailer gave me all The Exorcist I can handle for the moment. But whatever movies you watch today and however you spend your Halloween, I hope you have a happy one!

2 comments:

Timmy Crabcakes said...

Happy Halloween!
I've never seen that trailer for the Exorcist before!
I do like sincere 'best of' lists, because they're often how I discover things I hadn't heard of. It's the cynical click-bait ones that don't do anything but annoy me.

Jeff Allard said...

Yeah, especially during the month of October you see a lot of those irritating kind of click bait lists. But you're right that a good one can steer people to movies they may not have heard of previously. Or maybe remind them that it's time to give some old favorites a rewatch.

Anyhow, Happy Halloween!