Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dinner With Max Jenke: The Original Recipe

Well, after giving the new review format a test spin I've decided that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or, as my wife said when I asked her what she thought of the changes: "You've been doing the same thing for years. You shouldn't try to jazz it up now."

I could keep going with it - and I do appreciate the supportive comments, by the way - but all I really needed to do was break myself out of my own lingering funk and I feel like I have.

Every horror fan knows that no horror franchise ever did itself a favor by veering too far from its formula. So, with that in mind I think it's wise that I return to the basics here straightaway - before I get to the point where DWMJ finds itself in the blogging equivalent of "tha hood", space...or Hell.

8 comments:

Timmy Crabcakes said...

Did I miss something?
I noticed some dead end links on my Blogger dashboard earlier... leading to stuff you must have pulled.

I've been reading you since back in your Gravedigger's Lounge incarnation and continue to remain thankful for every post you put up. I can understand the need to change things up though... maybe write about scrapbooking for a while... post some hotdish recipes or talk about NASCAR.
I'll just keep reading.

Jeff Allard said...

Thanks for the support, Knob! It's gratifying to know that people like you have been reading me from way back when. Believe me, it's much appreciated. Don't worry, though, you'll never have to read my thoughts on NASCAR!

As for dead links, there was a couple of posts I yanked but you didn't really miss anything. Except for one post I just couldn't get to my satisfaction, I just rewrote and reposted.

Sarah said...

I dunno, I kind of like the change. It's fun and informative. It was kind of a nice surprise since I only get to read blogs sporadically lately.

Jeff Allard said...

Hmmm. Well, I'd hate to be accused of flip-flopping but we'll just see how things go. Thanks for weighing in, Sarah!

You do bring up a point that was a factor in switching up my approach. There's some excellent blogs out there that make me feel that if that's what great blogging is - writing epic blog posts that surely take days to compose - then I've got to go in the other direction and just aim for being more concise and go for more of a bullet point sort of style.

Anyhow, we'll see. But I really appreciate you taking the time to say "hey, I liked that!"

Bob Ignizio said...

I'm glad you're going back to the way you've always done things. I didn't think the new format was awful, but it felt a little gimmicky and contrived and kind of reminded me of 'DVD Verdict'. You're too good a writer to box yourself into some arbitrary format.

Jeff Allard said...

Thanks Bob, I do think there's some positives to the format but, yeah, the 'gimmicky' nature of it was the deciding factor in scrubbing it. I didn't hate it but it just wasn't fully "me", whatever that might be. Looks like I'll just have to keep muddling through in the same manner that I always have!

Unknown said...

The way I look at it is so long as you keep cranking out thought-provoking posts, it's all good to me, no matter what things look like. Keep up the good work!

Jeff Allard said...

Thanks J.D.!