Thursday, October 3, 2013

Trick or Trailers: Dr. Giggles (1992)



I love trailers like this that have material specifically shot for the trailer. I also think that any trailer for any movie would be improved by having a big hand jut into frame with a scalpel and slash the screen apart as seen here. If romantic comedies started using this tactic in their trailers, I'm sure I'd see more of them.

This trailer for Dr. Giggles embodies the film's gleefully grisly attitude as perfectly as any ever could've, spotlighting Larry Drake's cheerfully over-the-top performance as the mad medico of Moorehigh ("Hello Mr. Pancreas!"). The fact that this movie was sold to a "T" and yet audiences still didn't show up means that the time just wasn't right for this comical slasher pic. Released on October 23rd, 1992, Dr. Giggles did not prove to be the cure for the doldrums plaguing horror at the time but yet director Manny Coto, who also had a hand in re-writing Graeme Whifler's original script, created a fun, comic book-styled slasher that has aged very well.

Never getting more than a bare bones DVD in its home video history, I think this would be a perfect candidate for a Scream Factory Special Edition. I can only speak for myself here, of course, but I think a feature length commentary from Larry Drake would be just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: