Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bloodsucking Freaks

I really didn't intend to be away for so long but here it is over a month (!) since my last post. Sorry for the extended absence but everyday life takes precedence. And, really, all demands on my time aside I also didn't feel I had much to talk about lately. Not about horror films at least as I've been spending most of my time reading comics and watching '70s-era Dr. Who.

Coming back, I'd like to mention a new column that just kicked off at Shock Till You Drop called Retro Shock Theater. It's exactly what it sounds like, a retrospective feature on various fright flicks - ones that will typically be thematically tied in to a current release. The inaugural column, for example, is devoted to one of my favorite "cabin in the woods" films , 1993's Ticks, just as The Cabin In The Woods finally hits theaters. Sadly, I believe that Ticks continues to be MIA on DVD - hopefully that'll change one of these days as it's an easy-to-like creature feature that deserves to be seen by more fans.

Anyhow, that covers it for now but expect another new post real soon - about as quickly as it takes me to see The Cabin In The Woods.

2 comments:

Dom Coccaro said...

YES.

I adore Ticks. I own a screener VHS copy. I can't fucking believe that this isn't on DVD. Your retrospective mirrored my thoughts on the film to a T. On one hand, I'm glad that it wasn't made in the 70's because it wouldn't have been as fast-paced or as explicit.

You get brownie points for name-dropping Octaman. Love. That. Flick.

Jeff Allard said...

Thanks Dom - I'm happy to give TICKS a much-deserved shout out!