Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summer Shocks 1980: Friday the 13th

The new installment of Summer Shocks is up at Shock Till You Drop and for our look at 1980, I'm giving some love to Sean Cunningham's original summer camp slayathon Friday the 13th. Hard to believe how notorious this movie once was but those who were around back then will recall the angry furor over Friday's graphic gore. I still love the movie and think it endures as a wistful, sun-dappled snapshot of a time when the world (and the horror audience) wasn't so jaded.

To read my full review, click here.


3 comments:

Rusty James said...

Great article Jeff.

Now I remember why I don't follow SHOCK anymore: when trying to add a comment it always tells me I've gotten the security code wrong. Like 4 effing times! I'm not that stupid I can't match 6 letters.

Jeff Allard said...

Funny you should say that - I have the same problem! Many a time I've tried to leave a comment only to be told I got the security code wrong! It is frustrating, I agree. All that aside, I may be biased but STYD is still the best of the online horror news outlets!

Chris H said...

I do miss the times when I got scared watching Friday the 13th movies. I'm not a hardcore fan or anything, but I remember seeing Part 4 at the drive-in and being terrified. I have a fondness for those first four in the series.